Wednesday, February 13, 2019

2019: Faires and Events



We are well into a new year, so I wanted to present of list of events and faires which I am planning on attending in 2019.  I hope that this list will help you to decide to attend some of these events.  When available I have included the dates of these faires. Remember almost all of these faires run on the weekend, so if I list several weeks, I am referring to the weekends for that time frame.  It always helps to check out these faires and festival’s websites to ensure you get the proper dates and times they are open.
So lets get to it:
Vermont Winter Renaissance Faire:  Will be held February 23 & 24, 2019 at the 105 Pearl St, Essex Junction, VT at the Champlain Valley Exposition.  This is a wonderful faire, and the first indoor one I ever attended. Some of my favorite performers, vendors, and combat reenactors will be there.  A wonderful time to shake off a long winter.
Chase Con’s Saratoga Comic Con (Spring Show)- I am not a big comic book aficionado, however, this event has everything.  You can meet athletes, cosplayers, buy comics, books, collectables and other items.  It is an enjoyable event that I like to attend every time they have one.  This year it will be held on April 27 at the Saratoga Springs City Center in Saratoga Springs, NY.



Robin Hoods Faire- Read about last year’s event here.  This faire is no longer being held.  I am including it so you are informed of this information.

Mayfaire on the Green- We all have heard of the little engine that could, this is the little faire that does. This faire started out small, but has managed to work itself up to be one of the most enjoyable faires I attend each year. When you attend this faire, you will feel like you are a member of their family. This year it is held on May 18-19 at 7835 Church Street, Holland Patent, NY.
NY Capital District Renaissance Festival- A wonderful faire near the capital of New York.  This is a great faire, it includes many vendors, performers, reenactors and even a joust. I always say I feel melancholy when I leave this faire.  This year it is held at Indian Ladder Farms in Altamont, NY;  the date this year is June 8 and 9th.
Mutton and Meade Festival-June 15-16 at the 210 Turners Falls Road, Turners Falls, MA.  This was the faire that got me addicted to medieval/renaissance faires. I enjoy the acts, entertainers and reenactors I see there each year.
Vermont Renaissance Faire-held annually at the Mayo Events Fields at 80 Weeks Hill Rd, Stowe, Vermont.  This year the dates are June 22-23.  This is another great faire.  I get to visit with many performers and vendors who are friends.  They have a joust and combat reenactors, living historians. One of the best faires out there.



Midsummer Fantasy Renaissance Faire- June 22 to July 7, held at the Warsaw Park,119 Pulaski Highway, Ansonia, Ct.  This is a newer faire for me, as I have just started attended over the last 2 years.  It is a wonderful faire, filled with unique entertainers, vendors. 

Massachusetts Renaissance Faire- July 27-August 4th, at 97 Fairgrounds Rd. Cummington, MA.  What a great faire run by some great people.  You will find something here for everyone. Great entertainment, food, events and games await for the entire family.  Make sure to check out their Market After Dark which is open to 18 years or older.
Windfall Dutch Barn Medieval Faire-this faire is run to help with the costs of the The Windfall Dutch Barn, a pre-revolutionary restored structure.  It is another smaller faire, that makes that up with its talented artists, and wonderful vendors.  Do not miss this event that is held at the barn at 2009 Clinton Road,Cherry Valley, NY. The faire is usually held in the 2nd weekend in August.
Faery and Earth Festival, Watertown, NY- I first attended this festival in 2018.  It is filled with dance and entertainers, and also some wonderful products from some great vendors.  It is held at the Thompson Park, Watertown, NY.
Connecticut Renaissance Faire- Another one of my favorite faires. This has been one of my do not miss faires for several years.  This faire includes some of the best vendors, entertainers and performers out there. It runs from August 31 – October 14, 2019 and is held at the Lebanon County Fairgrounds at 122 Mack Road in Lebanon, CT.
CNY Royalty and Rogues- Last year was held in September at the Stittville Firemen's Field, 8920 NY-365, Stittville, NY. Another smaller faire that makes up for it size with high quality performers and vendors. Each year I go to this faire, it seems to get bigger and better, so don’t miss your opportunity to see it in 2019.
Saratoga Comic Con- People who brought you the previous spring version mentioned earlier, held at the same place, 522 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY.

Watertown Comic Con- Last year was the first time I attended this event. They are establishing themselves as the main comic con for this area. Make sure to check out their fb page for furture events.
There are some other faires and events I will attend, some Halloween, steampunk theme or even country and state fairs.  These I will post during the year after I attend them.
I mentioned the Robin Hood’s Faire above, and how it was no longer operating.  This has happened to many of my faires and events I have attended in the past.  They put on some great faires, but due to costs (sometimes a joust itself is over a grand), sometimes attendance, or outside factors have forced the promoters to close their operations.
Do not be one of those people who wished they saw a faire when it was opened. Go out and seek a faire, event near you.  Support those who support these faires.
W.A. Rusho is an author, professional wrestler and historian. You can contact him via his email or website.
DID YOU LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?  Then leave a comment.  Also support a blogger by clicking an advertisement on their site!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment