Saturday, November 3, 2018

Halloween Recap: Decorations for the Home

Another Halloween has come and gone.  As usual, I decorated my yard for those kids in my town that go trick-r-treating.  I thought I would share my “haunted” house decorations with you, and how I created some of my own.  I live in a rural area, so kids still trick-r-treat in my neighborhood, so this was a treat for them too. This year, it rained a lot, which reduced the number of trick-r-treaters at my house. However, those that did go out in the rain enjoyed by decorations.
I had recently bought some inflatable mannequins from TheCostumer, this is a store I frequent and it is open all year long.  With these mannequins totally inflated, I drove a long stake behind them (so they would stand up) and dressed them up in a costume.  With a blank face, I simply had to add some fake eyes underneath the mask. This is a cheaper way to create a character attraction than buying a store bought one.  
If you had seen a previous blog from last year, you remember I had bought a jumping spider.  I had this working by using one of those “Step on” pads, I found these did not work very well.  While at Spirit Halloween store, I purchased a remote-control device.  This allowed me to set my animatronics by myself and not rely on the pad.
This is a variation of the above.  I had several animatronics which did not use a step on pad, they had sound or motion sensors, these too did not work very well.  However, I had kept the “try me” sensor which was packaged with the item.  This sensor allows you to try it before you buy it.  With a little modification, and rewiring, I was now able to use these by remote control. The remote-controlled animatronics really increased the scare factor of my attractions.
The picture would "greet" the people going 
down the scary path
Speaking of being scared, I realize that there are older trick-r-treaters and younger ones.  I continued my tradition of having two paths; after getting their candy (which I love giving them a lot of) they had the option of just leaving, or going down the scary path. Of course, when the kids asked how scary it was I replied, “I don’t know, no one has made it out alive yet!”
Here are some more pics of some of the items I included in my haunted yard.  I must admit, I did not put out as many displays as I usually do because of the weather, however, I did include many of my favorites such as the jumping spider and the projection of the zombies clawing through the door.
One of the mannequins with a mask
Jason mannequin hiding at the side of my house.


I enjoy Halloween, being single it is basically the only holiday I have control over.  4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas I go to my sisters, but Halloween, it is my holiday to decorate. 
My costume, I am a mounted deer head

Now that it is after Halloween, I have gone to numerous stores and bought several Halloween items at a very reduced rate for next year. Make sure you join me then to see how the lawn looks like.
I hope you enjoyed my decorations for Halloween, and I hope this gives you some ideas for next year. Leave a comment about how your Halloween was this year.
BIG NEWS COMING about the re-release of my novel “Legend of the Mystic Knights”. Come back soon, you do not want to miss this!!!
W.A. Rusho is an author, professional wrestler and historian.  You can contact him via his website, or email.
SUPPORT A BLOGGER so they can bring you many more posts like the one above, simply click an advertisement on their page!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment