Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Upstate Comic Con

This week I am going to discuss the Upstate Comic Con, which I attended last Friday in Ogdensburg, NY.


Unlike many of the comic cons you may be familiar with, such as the San Diego, or the New York Comic Con, this one is relatively small. It is the 2nd year of the Comic Con, so they are just beginning to gain an audience and a following.

I want to thank my friend, Just Berry, who sent me information about this event. Justin runs the Adirondack Pro Wrestling Federation (APWF).  I have been friends with Justin for a long time, and we use to compete against each other in wrestling.  It was a match with him that has become very famous, or infamous.  If you wish to see it, here is the link to Youtube.   The APWF was going to bring in Jesse Neal, a former TNA wrestler to sign autographs at the Comic Con. Justin informed me this would be an opportune time to promote the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame,, and also to promote my novel at the same time.

I arrived early at the Comic Con. It was being held at the Richard Lockwood Center, which is located in a large hockey rink. If I had a complaint about the comic con, it would be the venue. It was colder inside than it was outdoors, and I was suffering from a cold at the time. Over the weekend, this impacted me; and I spent the entire time in bed and ended up getting pneumonia.

As many of you know, my novel "Legend of the Mystic Knights" is only available for the Kindle.  Not having a physical book to sell is a detriment at these events.  What I did was to make up copies of the cover of my novel along with bookmarks and hand them out to the crowd.    At this convention I was able to sell some tee shirts to benefit the wrestling hall of fame. I also handed out numerous flyers about the hall, and our upcoming induction weekend in May.

Although the crowds were small (it was a Friday), I did have an enjoyable time, and plan on making other appearances at these comic cons.

Next week: We will return to our journey in making a movie.

16 comments:

  1. That's the worst feeling when you are stuck somewhere cold and you can feel it creeping into your bones. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I hate being cold! Especially when I have a cold! I am so sorry that you ended up with pneumonia! I hope you are feeling much better soon. And I have to say that you really impress, with you ability to stay at the show and even pass out goodies for your book. Hope it pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that you getting hit in the head with the ceiling fan in that YouTube video? William you have to hold out for air conditioned venues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that was me. WAR is my wrestling persona.
      Long story short, the fans behind me were yelling "Fan" and I thought they meant a fan was coming into the ring, so I was looking over the wrong shoulder.

      Delete
  4. Even though it was a smaller ComicCon you went and will gain from the experience for the next time you try another one. Too bad though that you ended up getting pneumonia :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a pretty ingenious way of promoting your Kindle book by giving out bookmarks of the cover since you couldn't show the book itself. Too bad it was so cold and you ended up with pneumonia. Hope you're feeling better now and the next comic con you attend will have heating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about the pneumonia! The price we pay for promoting our writing, huh? I like how you handled your kindle issue, I'm sure people who took the printouts will remember to go online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pneumonia must have been terrible. Glad you are better. Is that you with glasses in the picture above? If it is, you could have fooled me. Also dislike places where it's colder inside than outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way you decided to advertise your book without the actual book. Great idea. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a good time other than getting pneumonia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're feeling better. I watched the video of the 2014 ComicCon because I wasn't quite sure what it was. What a crazy event! Even George Clooney was on a panel. Comics are a big business, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a good time at Comic Con. Good for you for getting your book out thee if though you didn't actual have the book to display. Building up buzz is so integral to success so it is good that you are doing that so early. Blah to pneumonia. That is truly the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think, you must have learnt a lot from the Comic con and it is nice that you were successful selling few T-shirts.
    I think the cover of book that you have distributed, will bring postive result, once the book is published.

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How awful to go to such an event and end up with pneumonia! Trade shows are definitely hard work at the best of times

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, William seeing that photo of you at the table brought back such memories! For the first 3 years of my career in the travel industry I traveled all over the country doing travel shows and the events were held in everything from giant tents to ballrooms in deluxe hotels. On the plus side that experience took me to every state on the mainland with the exception of Alaska. On the downside I don't know what I hated worse the travel agents looking for freebies or having to cart around my display and tons of materials. I kept quitting but my darn boss had the nerve to refuse my resignations. Hope you're feeling better. :-)

    ReplyDelete